- Food & Drink
In the blink of an eye(brow)
Threading isn’t something you can learn in a few classes at beauty school. It’s a technique commonly practiced in countries such as Egypt and India and passed down through generations.
But its growth in local popularity shouldn’t raise any eyebrows. Noticed a surge in runway ready, kapow brows in the past few years? The hirsute shes and hes were more than likely happy ambassadors of the art.
And Vancouverites are gravitating to threading for reasons that have very little to do with trends.
Firstly, threading is extremely sanitary; nothing but a clean thread touches the skin.
Then, for people with straggly brows who struggle to achieve evenness, the thread can be targeted down to a single stray hair.
And with the harsh airs of winter only just beginning their assault on our T-zones, it’s a gentle, chemical-free alternative that is safe to use in circumstances (such as thin skin) where waxing is not.
Lastly, it can be done in the time it takes to decide to go on that date tonight, and lasts long enough for you to fall in love (about a month).
Blink Brow Bar at 577 Bute has some of the most experienced threaders in the city. While the upper lip, face and chin can all be in the crosshairs, we’re talking eyebrows today with owner Kiran Darred.
With 17 years of experience in threading and esthetics, she walks us through what to expect your first time:
• The brow area is cleaned and prepped with a sanitizing wipe.
• Your technician discusses the brow options available to you, and then the shape is measured and defined on your existing brow with white pencil.
• When you’re happy with the shape, threading begins. Your technician will define your brow to the chosen shape, using a cotton thread pulled along unwanted hair in a twisting motion.
• After threading, some trimming and grooming perfects the shape.
• Then you’re treated to a relaxing aloe or rose water oil massage that soothes the skin and eases any redness that has arisen.
• Finally, a light brow makeup or tint is applied to enhance the finished look. Rates: Eyebrows (plus makeup and massage), $21; Brow tint, $19.
You won’t believe the before and after. Cara Delevingne, eat your heart out.
Blink is offering WE readers 15% off until Dec. 24 to get set for the holidays. Just mention this article at time of booking; 604-428-BROW.